Saturday 26 January 2013

Electric Cinema (Date spot review)

Electric Cinema
http://www.electriccinema.co.uk
020 7908 9696 
191 Portobello Road
London
W11 2ED

I first saw this place advertised on "I know a great little place in London"'s Facebook page. I lot of people I mentioned it to knew said they had heard of it many moons ago but then it closed down for quite a while (I think there was a fire). But now it is open again, flourishing and it is absolutely amazing!

Ideally situated on Portabello Road it is a very short walk from Ladbroke Grove tube station, but also not too far from Notting Hill Gate and a variety of other stations.

Top tip: Do not miss the opportunity to walk along the market singing "Portabello Road...Portabello Road. Anything and everything a chap can unload" from Bedknobs and Broomsticks

If you love old school glamour this is the place for you. We arrived, and even though I knew where we were going I was blown away with the beauty. From the old school pick n mix in glass jars to the retro till, to the red velvet curtains everything was glamorous and beautiful.

While we waited for the curtains to open (and there was me worrying about being late) we bought some fresh warm donuts. Now I never thought I'd say this but "Krispy Kremes...move aside! We have a new winner! I wont say much more - just experience the delight for yourself!

I had booked us one of the sofas at the back, but we have already decided that we will be returning at some point to try out the full length beds at the front! It was lovely being able to watch a movie (especially one as long as 'The Hobbit') in the same luxury you would at home. Actually more so....I know my sofa isn't velvet and I certainly don't own a cashmere blanket!



We decided to pass on the bar as it was fairly early and instead I snuck off to the corner shop to bring back some coke and popcorn. This is when we learnt we physically cannot watch a movie in the cinema without popcorn! A bit cheeky but they didn't seem to mind, especially as we had no option to buy popcorn there.

Overall a beautiful date that I was really pleased to have organised. If I had been taken there as a surprise or on a first date I would have been SERIOUSLY impressed.

Pros
  • Add a feeling of luxury and specialness to the traditional cinema date
  • None of this "armrest in the ribcage" nonsense when you try and snuggle up to your date
  • Distinct lack of children - almost purely an adults only venue (or at very least well-behaved children!)
  • The donuts!
Cons
  • Pricey
  • Distinct lack of slurpy drinks, hotdogs and popcorn
Great date for?
  • Special occasion
  • Impressive first date
  • Cosy couple date
Cost

Approximately £30 per person including the donuts, a drink and some sneaky snacks bought from the corner shop.

Romance rating





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...